Awful Time
Sunday, March 8, 2009, 3/08/2009 01:14:00 AM
Hi blogspot! I'm back to blog!
Thursday (4/03/09) - I was on my way to school when I saw a few men working.
Yeah...I secretly took the photo. =x
I got reminded from the sermon when my Pastor mentioned that "this foreign workers eat 2 meals a day, which mainly consists of rice and curry only for each meal...."
And I thought to myself, "Why are they lowly paid since they are striving most of the time under the hot sun...?"
This brought me to remembrance during one of the tutorial lesson we had on the topic of social class in Sociology.
We had a debate topic, "why does the doctor get higher pay than a rubbish collector?", which consists of 2 groups, and a group to judge - "Doctors should be paid more because...", "Rubbish collector should be paid more due to...". It was an interesting discussion. In the end, the tutorial teacher couldn't decide on which side wins. Things are pretty grey down here and we aren't able to judge who is right or wrong.
I can't imagine the life they are living in Singapore. I've seen some foreign workers, despite being the ones who built most of our HDB flats, got despised and complained by some of our local people over lodging in temporary dormitary under their flats.
I can't say that they are totally wrong in their opinion when it comes to safety. But base on their pay, I guess rental fees are unaffordable for them.
Oh yes, and I'm in the team of "Rubbish collector should be paid more due to..." I'm not really supporting the part that they should earn more, but rather, at least meet their needs in a foreign country where costs of living are high.
I have started working. Not a fanciful job which most people would prefer, or even consider. And it was tough. Not as tough as construction worker though.
I guess there's something we can do about it and make Singapore a better place for them to live.
Labels: Learning